- Poirazi Lab, Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (IMBB), Foundation for Research and Technology Hellas (FORTH), Heraklion, Greece.
- Vacancy terms: Full Time, Fixed Term from 1st January 2020 for 2 years (renewable for 2 more years).
- Salary: Commensurate with experience: 26.000€ - 36.000€ per annum.
- Deadline: midnight, 21st November 2019
- Project: FET-Open GA-863245-NEUREKA: “A smart, hybrid neural-computo device for drug discovery”.
The successful applicant will work on a multi-disciplinary collaborative project aiming to develop a new prototype technology that can be used for drug discovery for neurological diseases. In this new hybrid technology, computational neuronal networks that simulate dysfunction will drive cultured neurons to replicate Alzheimer’s disease. A proof-of-concept will be provided for Alzheimer’s disease, using human (iPSC)-derived neurons while testing the effects of novel drug candidates. The NEUREKA partners include the University of Padua (Prof. Vassanelli), CNRS (Prof. Larrieu), the University of Milano Bicocca (Prof. Fanciulli) and Maxwell Biosystems.
Characteristics of the Ideal Candidate
- PhD in Computational Neuroscience, Neuroscience, Applied Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, Engineering or a related subject.
- Solid programming skills in Linux (Python, NEURON, MATLAB).
- Experience in computational modeling of neurons.
- Experience with processing neuronal data.
- Experience in scientific publishing (proven by a corresponding list of publications).
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, being able to work comfortably both in a team and independently.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, prioritizing own workload to deal with urgent tasks, while maintaining a high standard of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Willingness to travel.
How to apply
Applications (full CV, statement of research interest and name and contact of 2-3 referees) should be sent by e-mail to email@example.com, quoting “NEUREKA: Postdoctoral position” in the subject line. The deadline for applications is November 21st, 2019. Applications will be examined until the position is filled. Informal enquiries are welcome.
For more details, check the opening announcement document